Turn 1 Thread

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:52 pm

The newborn kids frolic and bleat in happy abandon. Hoof tendrils topped with human nails scrape along the dirt, while they stare at one another with a mix of goat and human eyes. One claws its way along the earth with a human arm; another's bleats are strange and monstrous when ripped from a human throat. Gracious approaches Laval and Vex, Vex appearing deep in thought.
 
"I have a plan," Laval asserts, "But I need your help."
 
Gracious pauses. "... Right. So, what, uh, what would that - I mean I'll help if I - what do you need?"
 
Laval looks to Vex. He shrugs before replying. "Two things. Something that'll burn in lots of colours. Ideally it'd be magic, but... chyms are a second best, I guess."
 
"Can you make that sort of thing?" Laval asks Gracious.
 
"Yeah, that should be doable, I think... We were doing some work with fire stuff yesterday; some of the same basic kit. Lots of colours... anything else you need it to do? Popping?"
 
"Smoke,” Vex notes. “Coloured smoke. I... don't think popping is necessary?"
 
"Sure, OK, you know it's your circ- you do what you need to - what's the other thing?"
 
Laval and Vex share a glance. "A sacrifice,” Vex responds.
 
"...human?"
 
"Yes," Vex nods.
 
"You think I can provide?" Gracious queries, "... what sort of person does it need to be?"
 
“Adult," Vex notes.
 
"Ideally willing," Laval adds. She looks at the village proper. "We don't want to cause a... an upset."
 
"Alright;” Gracious remarks, “I think I might be able to sell - but I'll have to know - what is this going to - we can't fuck this up."
 
Laval nods.
 
"I need to summon a demon," Vex clarifies. There is a long, awkward pause before Gracious speaks.
 
"... So I don't mean to be funny... and I'm not averse to that in general, let's be - how will that help, exactly?"
 
"A spellfiend,” Vex replies. “It will know how to break the curse. They know... a lot."
 
"This... this is the preacher's doing?" Gracious clarifies.
 
"Probably,” Laval says, “Directly or indirectly. It's.. the Plaguelord's work, certainly."
 
Gracious thinks. "... I think I have a plan. I'll ask the whole village to come forth - explain a - not the situation but, a- a palatable - a thing which makes sense. Explain - sacrifice, I mean, it's not all bad - the trick is to make them want it, make them - have a great celebration for them, make them adulate in the necessary -we do the good work even as you cast the spell, yes?"
 
Laval nods, but looks afraid. "If this goes wrong, it could go very wrong. Just bear that in mind."
 
"Wrong how?” Gracious asks. “Wrong like it went on that hill?"
 
Laval nods.
 
Gracious sighs. "... Alright. It doesn't seem like there's much choice..."
 
"Say. That drug you were making..."  Laval glances at Vex. "Will it dampen the will?"
 
"Only afterwards. During... I think it'll boost it."
 
"We might need that, then."
 
Vex frowns, looking a little worried.
 
"I've got two doses," Gracious notes. He throws Laval two little small test tubes of a pale blue liquid, which moves intoxicatingly, like heavy water. She catches, a little surprised, and inspects them.
 
"How long does it last?"
 
"Bout an hour."
 
The pair of wyches nod, sharing an uncomfortable look. "And you don't know anything of daemonology..." Laval offers hopefully.
 
"Nothing. You can use the pendant again, if you want..." Gracious waves his Slaaneshi pedant.
 
"We need the symbol of Tzeentch,” Vex complains. “Not that."
 
"Yeah, I figured...” Gracious admits, “But it's what I have, right?"
 
Laval swallows. “Let's throw the dice again, then."
 
"Ha! Very well... Let's see what we can do." Sten comes up to Gracious and whispers in his ear. Laval smiles at Sten and offers a little wave of greeting. Gracious looks at Laval, then back to Sten. He nods. "... The thing I want to know, right, before we go ahead: why exactly do you think this'll work?"
 
"Why wouldn't it?” Vex demands, “Knowledge is one of the things these daemons specialise in."
 
Gracious looks only somewhat convinced. "... Fine. And you can't think of another option?"
 
“Not unless you happen to be carrying a library of occult knowledge around with you..." Vex remarks.
 
"Nah, mate, I left that in my other coat."
 
Laval laughs. Vex frowns.
 
"One... more thing," Gracious ventures. "What are you going to do when the Mbuu returns?
 
"... Deal with that when it happens..." Laval suggests. She reaches out with her mind, tentatively pushing against the boundary of Gracious' will. She enters into Gracious' mind, uncovering his current mood of slight trepidation. She is forced out before she can uncover more of his thoughts.
 
"Now, now," Gracious chides.
 
"What?"
 
"Ask, first, please."
 
Laval sighs. "I'm sorry. I'm not used to not just..." she glances at Vex, shrugs.
 
"I think he's not going to like what's happened, here," Gracious continues, turning back to the topic of the elderly Mkuu. "How's Faruha?"
 
Laval frowns. "Coping, just about."
 
"And what'll she do if her father gets back and kicks up a fuss?"
 
"I can handle it." She hesitates.
 
Gracious pushes the issue further. "Can you?"
 
"Yes. Why?"
 
"Fine. Just... fundamentally, I suppose, the question is: is he going to end up dead, or alive?"
 
"Alive, I hope."
 
"... Because there might be cleaner ways of enacting the former, if it has to happen. Of course, I'd rather the latter..." Gracious lets it hang. “Well, think on; we've got another task in hand."
 
Laval sighs. "Gracious, may I?"
 
"See what I'm thinking?"
 
She nods.
 
Gracious smiles. "Sure."
 
"Thank you."
 
Now facing a willing subject, Laval once again reaches out with her thoughts and connects with Gracious' mind. There is that same trepidation, perhaps a little tension, but as Laval goes deeper, the immediate fears, concerns and conscious lies bubble to the fore of Gracious' mind. There is nothing but that which Gracious has voiced or implied: concerns about Laval's ability to successfully enact the ritual, concerns about what happens when the Mkuu returns. However, Gracious seems to be being honest.
 
Laval pushes deeper to the short term memory of Gracious. She sees the memories of a ritual before Slaanesh, where Kibwa and his friends gather to receive the benediction of the Dark Prince. She feels the haziness as a mild hallucinogen brings a happy daze to the memory, blinding the miscreants to the enormity of what they are doing. The Seduction pleases the Dark Prince, and Gracious elevates in the esteem of the gods. Further back still, and she sees Gracious recovering his pendant from the ritual site, leaving everything else as it was.
 
Laval begins to feel the slow build of energies resisting her. She leaves courteously, without going deeper. She smiles. "If I could return the favour, I would."
 
"I had some drugs, once, let you see people's minds, like you were a psyker..." Gracious returns conversationally. “HELL of a kick. So, you know, thanks... but I'm not sure how you handle it."
 
Laval’s smile broadens to a grin. "It's a good feeling. Especially when I'm about to take a leap of faith and trust you."
 

"Alright..." Gracious heads towards the village.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:06 pm

Laval and Vex head out to the hill to begin preparations for the ritual. There are circles to inscribe, containers to find that can serve as braziers, plans to hash out. Before beginning, the pair kneel at the centre of their intended ritual site and pray for guidance - or failing that, that their mortal schemes provide amusement for the Great Conspirator.

[When it comes to time to make the Daemonology check, will Laval be able to assist Vex (or vice versa?) even if she is untrained? Would it be unreasonable to buy Daemonology at this point? I'm also intending to have whoever's testing (maybe both) take Gracious' drugs at such a time that the effects will be active during the crucial tests.]

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:27 pm

The ritual site is prepared, with braziers randomly arranged by Laval, who places them with her eyes closed. Together, the pair pray. Already, they can feel the weakness of the veil, madness and laughter floating in on an unreal breeze. They sense great power, neither maleficent nor friendly. It is simply power: the power of magic and the Lord of Change. Perhaps it is not unsurprising that the veil between reality and the warp is so thin: this is where daemons trod, where powerful magics were unleashed, and Vex was glanced upon by the eye of a god.

[You can buy Forbidden Lore (Daemonology) at this point: there are no restrictions for when you can spend XP. You cannot assist in a Skill unless you either have that Skill, or are using another Skill in a way that would conceivably help. 

In terms of mechanics, the drug confers Unnatural Intelligence (2) and Unnatural Willpower (1). The former is not itself too useful - you either succeed or you fail, but the latter will assist the summoner in controlling the daemon if it is summoned.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:01 pm

[I'll make that purchase then. Do both tests need to be made by the same character?]

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:25 pm

[Yes. The one leading the ritual will take the Daemonology Test, and will be the one assailed by the daemon for Mastery.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:57 pm

[Argh, difficult decisions. I guess Laval will lead then, because she's much smarter, only a bit less WP, and doesn't add +10 to psychic phenomena. Because there are so many ways this ritual could kill us.

I think Laval will take the drug (at an appropriate time), because they only understand what it does insofar as Gracious said it would sharpen the mind and strengthen the will, which seem useful for doing such a ritual.]

After praying and preparing, Vex and Laval go to find Faruha and wait for Gracious to arrange the remaining components.


Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Most of the village has left the fields to take shelter in their homes, convinced that a doom has taken hold over Imani. Faruha, meanwhile, remains with the mutant beasts, watching them with a horrified fascination. Her lip is bleeding again, and she looks up to the pair with hopeful eyes.

"The people are very afraid," she observes. 

She elaborates on how difficult the people of Imani have taken the recent blow. The villagers have been through a great deal in the last couple of days. They have been shown that their God - the Emperor who they have worshipped all their lives - has abandoned them. They have been told truths almost too dark to comprehend, of other powers that actually shape their everyday lives. Their preacher has told them that hope is lost, and killed dozens in so many horrifying ways. A monster has come to destroy them, and only with the help of wyches have they been saved. All this, to a people already in desperation - a village that is sickly, low on food, and lacking running water.

All this, and then - finally, when all seemed to be turning around - their only food source is terrifyingly contaminated. The people of Imani can only take so much, and there is a real danger that the wiles of the Plague God may triumph over Tzeentch and Slaanesh after all. Faruha shakes her head in dismay. She misses her father, and is sure that if he was here he would know what to do.

"But you have a plan, yes?"

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Laval listens in sympathy, hearing her own fears repeated back to her. Hunger looms large, and the risk of losing all she has worked for hear.

"I have a plan, yes. We will lift this curse. It's dangerous - it takes strength to work magic and I... well, I will do the best that I can. Gracious is helping us. Please, stay with me while I gather my strength? It's a difficult thing I must do, and I'm afraid."

It's all honest, but her motives are not quite. She wants to keep Faruha away from Gracious' efforts, keep her from volunteering herself as sacrifice. Faruha is Laval's strongest piece in this town, and she is unwilling to lose her.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Faruha happily stays with Laval, and she is well-used to comforting others. She is a little apologetic for having lowered the heretic's spirits, and does not mention the catalogue of woes again. Instead, she makes small-talk about how Kibwa seems to be following Gracious around recently, and other matters such as swapping tips on herbs and asking for advice on the ways of healing. She has learnt some under her father, but the elderly Mkuu has spent more time practicing than teaching.

"Can I help with these magics?" she asks, fiddling with her clothes. "I do not think you will be here forever, and if the times are changing, perhaps I should change with them."

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:42 pm

"I can teach you some of what I know. When we must move on, it could be useful to you. The people will look to you for guidance.

"It's difficult and dangerous. Warp-things from beyond the veil use magic easily, but we are just mortals. It's important not to go too fast or too recklessly. Think of magic as a bit like fire: it enables so many things, but it's easy to burn yourself."

Laval speaks to Faruha first of the basic principles of rituals, then slowly of the details of what she intends to do. Throughout the discussion, she tries to reinforce the notion of Faruha's importance in the village, how much the others are relying on her to guide them in the future. By the time she must discuss sacrifice ("Always difficult and painful, but there is a great power in a human life, and sometimes it is necessary to give that up, so that others may live.") she hopes that she will have already convinced the other woman that it cannot be her.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 pm

Faruha listens carefully, and proves an intelligent student, but when Laval finally brings the conversation round to the topic of sacrifice, Faruha is horrified. No matter how carefully Laval tries to explain, how sadly she justifies ritualised murder, Faruha is entirely unconvinced.

"Our village has given so much," she says. "We have suffered so much. I thought that Tzeentch was meant to bring an end to the death and suffering. I thought you promised a new way!"

"We have had enough of death in Imani," she decides, with a determined tone. "When Ola killed the old woman Kilio I was saddened, but I knew that Kilio meant us ill, that she meant to hurt us. Now I see that there is no end to the death. Oh, Laval, you must find another way." 

[Laval can try to persuade her with Charm by using an Infamy Spend, or else can try an entirely new tack.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 pm

The words sting badly. For a minute, Laval is two people in her own mind.

Laval almost doubts her own faith. This is meant to make things better. She is trying so hard, but everything seems to bring only more suffering. How can this be the way forwards? How can she do this to these people?

Simultaneously, Laval curses Faruha's stubborn morality. Perhaps, she wonders, it would be better to lead Faruha to her death after all. Pieces are only valuable so long as they cooperate. And if she cannot convince her, she still has the poison...

No. No warring with herself. She wipes tears from her eyes, disturbs the warp-smoke with her hands.

"I'm sorry," she says, "I don't know another way. I'm only human, I'm fallible... Everything is so terrible right now. This way we can move forwards! The death will end. The other way is only more and more, forever and ever."

[(Re)Trying Charm.]

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Faruha is surprised by Laval's sudden exclamation. The display of agitated energy brings home reality, and how few options Imani has left. Faruha takes Laval's hands.

"You have done much for us," she tells Laval, "For years we have been dying, and no one came. But you came. You were not asked, but you helped anyway."

She sighs deeply. "Sometimes I forget that you are still human. There are things you accomplish daily that are incredible. But all of us must have limits. I am sorry, Laval. You are doing what you can, for the good of us all, and I know that soon our miseries will end."

"I have hope."

[Laval gains 1 Corruption Point.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:58 pm

Laval weeps for a time, slowly pulls herself together. She hopes desperately that Gracious is doing his part. She isn't sure how many more conversations like this she can cope with.

It seems there's little else to be done before the ritual materials are ready.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:29 pm

Mercifully, Gracious appears soon after, followed by his coterie of miscreants and addicts. Gracious provides the compounds that will give forth the smoke and flame, a strange, dark-green powder that fizzes slightly when tipped into the braziers.

The woman Ola has volunteered for sacrifice - the friend of Kibwa who emptied her revolver into the old woman. It is unclear why she has put herself forward, and perhaps it is better for Laval's guilt if she does not ask. Ola seems unafraid, determined, and a little proud. The rest of her friends prepare a party around the ritual site. 

There are dozens of drugs and booze on display, and Gracious' small group is having a whale of a time even before they've finished setting up. However, when the majority of Imani arrive, they are more distant, less willing to partake in the revelry. After all, someone is to die. A naturally more conservative people, they shy away from the narcotics and cannot be tempted to dance. Instead, they hum a dirge of remembrance for Ola, a native show of respect to the martyred among the Imani tribe.

Does Laval begin?

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:53 pm

Laval begins.

She imbibes the drug that Gracious gave her, praying that the Lord of Change looks favourably upon the state of mind that it is meant to induce.

The first step is to brand Ola with the runes of power. She thanks the woman plainly for her sacrifice, then gets to work. She uses her medical tools to do the work, aiming to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Then, to light the braziers. She speaks aloud in Low Gothic, entreating Tzeentch, extolling the strength and bravery of the people of Imani, their cunning and their hope in the face of all disaster. Vex aids her, tracing the runes agreed upon, lending his might as a psyker to her efforts to rend the veil. As she reaches the final brazier, her voice reaches fever pitch. She speaks words of power, calls upon the warp to open and deliver to her the information that she needs, that she deserves!

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 am

The brazier fires begin to pop, one by one. It is like something swallows them up in mild amusement. Pop! The fire disappears. Pop! It goes like this until the final, ninth brazier. Laval feels power descending through this place, power flowing through the tears in reality already cut open by Vex's magic and the dancing of burning daemons.

Pop!

Ola is suddenly immolated. She screams, a heart-wrenching, agonised, slow scream. It is not just her body but burns, but her soul as well, a sacrifice to the spellfiend that shall claw its way from her ashy remains. She does not die well, and that awful sound still lingers when there is nothing but dust and embers.

A powerful wind flows from an unknown quarter, catching the ash and swirling it upwards. The smoke of the braziers suddenly spools, and all must avert their eyes for a moment before looking back. There stands a daemon. Its form constantly shifts, faces and eyes appearing all over its ape-like body of long, spindly limbs. Warpflames wave like hairs across its form, and where they touch, the air changes colour, or mirages of futures that cannot be can be seen. Many of the villagers flee at the sight. Others cannot move for their terror. Faruha stammers, her mind broken. The spirit turns to the mortal who summoned it, and points.

It is as if Laval is hit by a shockmaul to the face. She is thrown to the ground, seemingly unconscious, but in truth fighting for mastery of the daemon. Her entire will is put to task against a creature of lies and madness and magic, and even with Vex's presence bolstering her will, it is only with the clear vision of Gracious' drug that shows Laval the way. Through a thousand and one riddles she cleaves through, her mind like a blade through the knot of madness. A wave of power ripples out, stunning villagers and Gracious. Laval hits the ground, unconscious, and for a brief moment, it is just Vex and the daemon facing one another. Vex swallows hard in secret fear.

But a moment later, Laval opens her eyes, and the daemon is powerless before her will.

"Thou summons me," the daemon speaks with nine voices, some sounding bored, others amused, many serious. "Thy word is my command."

It speaks of what must be done, a final ritual to reverse the curse that has plagued Imani for so long. It is an ancient curse, one seeped in the old lores, and difficult to reverse if one does not know the words of power. Yet this daemon knows the words, and communicates them to those that dare listen. The seven symbols of the three rings must be found from where they hide in the village of Imani and nailed to a great post, or tree. The words of power should be spoken, and all those born of Nurgle should be bloodletted at the base of the trunk while the tree burns. If done correctly, then the tree shall return the curse to the earth and bloom, untouched by the flames. If any eat of that tree again, the plague shall return, thrice more terrible than before. 

[This is a ritual requiring a Very Hard (-30) Scholastic Lore (Occult) Test, bolstered as usual by ritual modifiers (such as having psykers present, observing the rule of sympathy, having sacrifices etc.). Because the daemon has imparted information pertaining directly to this ritual, the ritualist counts as having the Scholastic Lore (Occult) (Int) Test at +30 for this Test.

Laval gains 1 Infamy and 5 Corruption Points. Vex gains 3 Corruption Points. Faruha has gained a Disorder.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 am

Vex cries out slightly, as if in pain, and smoke begins to pour from under his armour. With a grimace, he unclips his carapace chestplate, exposing where small, blue fires have caught on his flesh and burned through his under-robes. As soon as it is looked upon, the blue fires disappear, but the magical brand on Vex's flesh remains. It is the Mark of Tzeentch, a sign of true favour from the Lord of Change, and it is clear to all who dare glance upon it that the Great Manipulator looks on Vex with approval.

[Vex gains Unnatural Willpower (+1) and Psy Rating (+1). He now counts as a Bound psyker (to Tzeentch). Having the Mark of Tzeentch can produce +30 modifiers in Tzeentchian rituals.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:44 am

As the magic fades and the moment passes, Vex and Laval stare at each other, at first not believing their success. Then they begin to laugh - the half-mad, half-frightened, ecstatic laughter of people who had not expected to still be alive, who have achieved success and recognition beyond their wildest dreams. For a moment, there are just the two of them in the whole of existence, and that alien, all-powerful gaze from beyond the veil. They embrace, still laughing, standing in that spot where the warp presses close.

Then, reluctantly, they turn away, observe the havoc caused by their ritual, start wondering of the costs and the problems yet to be overcome.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am

The people of Imani slowly pick themselves up, having been stunned by a wave of magical energy. They see Laval and Vex laughing, and are somewhat confused, perhaps a little afraid. But when they embrace, there is a sense that everything has been a success, and the villagers press closer to enquire what needs to be done.

The lasting effects of the ritual are comparatively slight. Though the magical energies threw a shockwave out from the ritual centre, no one is hurt for more than a slight headache. Though Ola's death was thoroughly horrible, there is hope that soon the troubles of Imani will end. Faruha, scrubbing at a bit of ash that has stained her clothes, approaches.

"We know of one of the symbols of the three rings," she tells them. "The preacher wore it around her neck, and it was sent into the pyre, but did not burn. It cools in the embers, but no one wants to touch it."

The first step of the ritual to alleviate the curse is to find the remaining six symbols placed by Preacher Miriam around the village. The villagers are willing to help, so this should not be the most difficult of tasks. How do Laval and Vex assist?

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Laval cautions people to wear gloves or cover their skin when handling the symbols, lest the influence of Plague touch their hands. She follows her own advice when retrieving the first symbol from the pyre, but is unafraid of the icon. Victory is almost at hand, after all.

She and Vex help manually in the search, starting with the places that seem most likely - the Mkuu's hut, the goat sheds. Most of the searching is mundane, but the pair keep their third eyes open, hoping to spot some eldritch disturbance to give away the presence of the symbols. Vex works bare-chested, proud of his new Mark and keen to show off its power. As the promised hour draws to a close, Laval retreats to seek solitude in some out of the way corner, wary of the come-down that is sure to follow.

Vex continues, sending frequent mental messages to Laval to keep her updated on the search.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:15 pm

The symbols of the Grandfather evade the perception of Tzeentch's third eye. It is as if they sense that the victory of change over despair is at hand, but stubbornly resist nonetheless. It is a fine metaphor for the cloying stagnancy of Nurgle's disciples, and though magic does not help uncover the pendants, it is only a stall. With the help of the villagers, and a logical approach with where to look, the six remaining pendants are found. When collected together, their rings overlapped, they produce vertigo and nausea to even look upon. 

Atop an arid hill, marking the edge of the goat fields and thus Imani, is a small, struggling baobab tree. It has not produced fruit for as long as the villagers remember, and is dry and dying from lack of sustenance. Under Vex's instruction, the pendants of Nurgle are nailed to this tree. Where the pendants touch the bark, it sickens and dies, the final death rattle of Plague over the town of Imani. The mutated goat kids are dragged to that baobab tree, kicking and flailing, and more than a couple villagers are bruised from vicious cloven hooves. Soon, Vex communicates to Laval that they are ready.

Laval has been enjoying half a day of solitude, but when Vex's message comes, she is in conversation with Faruha. Faruha's skin seems rubbed raw, and she is constantly fidgety and agitated by dust and dirt on her clothes. Nonetheless, the Swaad woman puts aside those discomforts to explain to Laval what she is really concerned about: her father, Mkuu Tendaji, has not yet returned. He should have been back in the middle of the afternoon, and though sometimes he does arrive late (especially if there has been a medical emergency), given the tense circumstances, Faruha is worried.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:37 pm

"I understand. Probably he has just been delayed, but if he isn't back by nightfall then we can search for him. We have one final ritual to complete, and then we will be free to go looking."

We could really use another sacrifice, Vex opines.

No. The cost is too high.

"Come Faruha, we're nearly there. Let's go to the baobab and see this finished."

[Is this a Tzeentch ritual that would benefit from the Mark?]


Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by The GM on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:43 pm

[This is not a Tzeentchian ritual. I suppose it is actually a Nurglesque curse, but, because you are lifting it rather than causing it, I won't penalise Tzeentchian ritualists.]

Faruha nods. The pair make their way to the baobab on top of the lonely hill. There is a strange mood in the air. The main thoroughfare still carries the stench of death and disease. Dozens are dead, cheated of a burial or dignity by the horrible ways in which they died. Though the reduced population will help, Imani still struggles for food and water. And yet, for the first time in many years - for the first time before the Grand Makuu was built, and Swaadi was subjugated - Imani is at the brink of real freedom. Laval and Vex have performed miracles here, and brought hope and change where there was once stagnancy and suffering. The village steps into the ever-shifting bosom of Tzeentch, and magic reigns supreme.

[I'll soon post on the ritual, but I just want to make sure Gracious isn't doing anything that will impact on it. I'll give Wren a little while, but if he doesn't post, I'll assume that he doesn't interfere or otherwise gets there too late.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:48 pm

[I guess Laval will conduct the ritual again then, with Vex assisting. I can wait.]

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 1 Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum