Turn 2 Thread

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Why catch? he asks, refusing in the same thought. A part of him almost acquiesces automatically, used to receiving inexplicable orders through the mind-link, but he resists.

If you want quiet, lower them on the ropes. Maybe I could catch one, maybe we'd miss. Too much risk of noise.

Unused to filtering his thoughts, he is unable to hide from her his conviction that he'd be crushed by the falling corpses, the unwillingness to risk the imagined injury.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Ari accepts Vex's suggestion, and begins roping down the bodies. She seems to be straining herself, and the work is hard, but it goes swiftly and Vex gathers the body at the base of the wall. They are well-equipped: armed with lasguns and armoured in Imperial Guard Flak. The thought crosses Vex's mind that they might be useful, if there was some way of getting them back to Imani.

Glancing back up to the wall, another thought crosses Vex's mind. The compact he took before Tzeentch promised him esteem if he meddled in the affairs of other heretics. Ari is particularly relying on him - even if she is helping Vex complete that very same compact. 

[So I notice that your compact involves taking out the guns. I think the most sensible thing to do is to say that the Secondary Objective you're currently working on is taking out the weaponry of the Makuu, rather than meddling with the food. Does that sound fair?]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:36 pm

[That seems perfectly reasonable.]

Pass me some parts down too, make sure they can't fix the guns. Vex suggests.

He contemplates betrayal. It would be easy - reach out to the mind of a soldier somewhere, whisper a warning of an infiltrator. But he can't see a way in which that doesn't also end really badly for him. Maybe he could run, get beyond their effective range before they start sweeping the night for more assailants.

But then, how would they destroy the other guns, without this athletic woman and her impressive skills? Laval would be disappointed.

He pushes the thought of betrayal to the back of his mind. Maybe if the opportunity presents itself near the end of the work.

How many more of these do you reckon we can do before they raise the alarm?

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Ari is making good progress, and Vex has just under a dozen bodies to contend with before she is through. Ultimately, however, such things cannot go unnoticed by a professional military force for long. Ari assures you that she is removing crucial pins, and that there are any two autocannons yet to tamper with. Vex shifts nervously from foot to foot, his senses supercharged by the drug he has taken.

With just two autocannons left active, the Makuu begins to mobilise. Ari communicates that the patrols are tripling and the guards at the guns doubling. If she is to take out the remaining guns (positioned along the eastern wall), she needs Vex to create an almighty distraction that will temporarily throw the enemy into disarray, and force them to abandon their positions. What does Vex do?

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:06 pm

Vex runs back round the Makuu toward the recently disabled guns, out of line of sight of those that remain active and far enough away to make an effective distraction. He prays that Ari has not lied or messed up. He is not keen to take autocannon fire. They'll bring other guns to bear once he kicks up a noise, of course, but in the dark he is happy to bet on his odds against man-portable weaponry.

The thought of betrayal reoccurs as he runs... but Ari has the crucial parts, and there are still two guns to contend with. He could have that satisfaction, that prestige... at the cost of shooting himself in the foot.

When he gauges himself far enough away, he sets into motion a half-considered, frantic plan. He manifests Thought Sending, broadcasting indiscriminately to all nearby minds.

Cower, fools! We are come at last to destroy you!

[Intimidate? Fettered should still hit everyone in 3km which should be plenty.]

Immediately thereafter he throws a lazy bolt of change or two up at the walls, barely exerting himself. With this initial opening he has no need for the range to hit the gun emplacements above, all he wants is the explosive noise of the warpfire striking sandstone to draw attention to his position.

Hearing Vex's voice in her mind, Laval catches on swiftly.

It is too late, she whispers to all minds that can hear her. Any moment now your gates will open and the daemons will pour in.

[Deceive? Hoping to scare people into going to check the gates.]

Meanwhile, Vex is prepared to engage any who come to the sound of his mock assault in a bit of a firefight. He plans to use the darkness as cover and keep moving, hoping that it will take them a moment to realise that their autocannons are not working, taking pot-shots at soldiers if he can see them then changing position. Hopefully once he lands a solid shot, the horrific after effects of the Bolt of Change will be enough to draw more soldiers and he can flee, having given Ari the distraction she needs.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Vex creeps along the walls, barely avoiding the searchlights that are starting to scour the surrounding countryside. It seems that the Grand Makuu is expecting an attack, and, reaching out into their minds, Vex transmits his prophesy of doom. He opens fire on the walls, breathing in relief at the sounds of confusion as the autocannons fail to fire. Running into the darkness before they can muster the searchlights against him, he ducks and weaves as the odd whipcrack of lasfire comes perilously close to striking him. He turns, and waits for the enemy.

The grand door of the cathedral opens. Marching out are rows of troops, magnificent in their Ecclesiastical finery. A lesser heretic's blood would run cold, but Vex has seen displays of Imperial might before and is long jaded to such intimidation tactics. In any case, the distraction seems to have worked - perhaps he does not even need to engage with them. The wych watches as the squads scour the darkness vainly for sight of a massed foe.

But something doesn't quite sit right. They mustered their forces too soon. They were already preparing for an assault on the Makuu. Vex, though not familiar with Imperial strategy, logically thinks through what their strategy must be. When people started disappearing, they must have got together their off-duty soldiery and prepared them for a massed defence. Maybe the patrols have lessened to join the platoon. But in such a strategy, it would make no sense to abandon the heavy guns for an internal assassin to claim. To a professional fighting force, and not a band of thugs, they would not lessen their defences there.

Vex swallows, thinking it through. He is reasonably safe, though he is having to move further and further backwards (and occasionally duck) as the searchlights sweep towards him. If he were to help Ari further, he'd have to seem a threat that required literally all the defences of the cathedral: a threat that required every soldier in the Makuu to destroy. But even if that were possible - even if he could manifest such terrible power - he would have to contend with being shot at by a full platoon of Imperial Guard. 

He thinks further. If he just waits, the enemy commanders are going to realise that they have been tricked and go back to reinforcing the guns. Now that they know the autocannons are being tampered with, they'll know Ari's strategy for sure. This is a difficult riddle, for sure, and he has little time to solve it.

What does Vex do?

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:16 am

If he could only get within a few tens of meters... but it is too close, too close. Yet his blood is up, the drug is pulsing in his veins, the night is full of terror and glory...

He creeps closer to the platoon, working with a half-formed shred of a plan, still relying on tricks and shadows. He continues to broadcast telepathic messages, mad snatches of taunting, the mental equivalent of laughter. If they start trying to block out his thoughts, so much the better. The strain on their mental defences will soon work against them.

If he can just get close enough, then he can manifest Host of Fiends, and hope that the dreadful cacophony, on top of their wariness against attack, will trick them into thinking that they are indeed under assault by daemons as Laval boldly claimed.

[Willing to push for the extra range on Host of Fiends if necessary. Please recall Favoured by the Warp, I may need it not to die of Perils even if I don't die of being shot. >.<]

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:33 am

Vex creeps forward, hyper-aware of his every movement by the powerful drugs coursing through his system. He bounds silently from shadow to shadow, and if were not for Gracious' compound, he would surely have been blown to pieces half a dozen times. But the compound is in his system, and the shadows are long, and he creeps closer to within twenty metres. He isn't going to get another chance, and he tears on the veil, his abilities unfettered.

Things from the veil bubble and cackle and clamour. From a place of mist and shadow, a place between realms, hungry daemons press on the minds of the sane. Desperate for the warmth of life, they press and claw, and the enemy are disordered and afraid. Teased from their souls, Vex sees their fear and lust to do violence, and continues to assail them with portends of doom.

It seems to work. A few of the soldiers shout, and then they begin opening fire into the darkness. 

Vex restrains a hiss as he drops to the ground. Though the soldiers are not opening fire at him directly, he is in open ground, the enemy is massed, and they are shooting outwards. He wriggles away, but he catches a few las rounds, and one burns painfully in his shoulder. It takes all of his will to stop from crying out, and signing his own death warrant.

[Vex has suffered 1 Wound.]

Ari indicates that soldiers are abandoning their positions: the distraction is working. But Vex must maintain the mental assault if the distraction is to last, and if he moves any further, he will have to call on obscene levels of power to extend its reach. What does he do?

[Vex is 25m away. He can crawl at a rate of 3m per Round. Every 5m of movement imposes a -10 for him being accidentally struck by the soldiers. If he moves any further, the power will run out of range and he will have to recast whilst pushing. Does Vex start crawling away, and, if so, to what distance? Does he push? And, if he waits at any given position, how many Rounds does he wait for?]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 am

Vex's plan is to wait three rounds at his current position, continuing to whisper into their minds and mock them. He hopes that at least some will attempt and fail to resist his messages, and that the place where his will overwhelms theirs will act as an opening for corruption to seep into their souls. If any of them begin to mutate, he reckons that the distraction could plausibly become self-sustaining - or at the very least he will have done the most he can do.

After three rounds, or after he's taken 2 more wounds, whichever comes sooner, he intends to crawl away for safety. If he has to retreat from taking fire rather than from gauging that enough time has passed to give Ari a fighting chance, he will, with a quick prayer for the Warp's favour, push and recast. Likewise, if the soldiers appear to be reacting immediately to the cessation of the power (he hopes that it will take them a couple more rounds to work things out before they revoke orders and start returning to the gun emplacements) then he will push and recast, and retreat to the edge of the extended range [40m, I believe].

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Vex adds his voice to the clamouring daemons, taunting the enemy, breaking their resolve and tearing openings for the power of the warp to seep in. But the weight of fire is overwhelming, and misfortune seems to hang about. Barely suppressing screams, Vex is riddled with las rounds, cooking the flesh on his chest and abdomen. In desperation, he begins crawling away.
 
[Vex is taken to -3 Wounds, and suffers 2 temporary Toughness Damage and 2 levels of Fatigue. It is worth noting that Vex can spend Infamy to immediately get rid of all Critical Damage, and gain 1d5+1 Wounds.]
 
Crawling away, he cannot reach far enough to continue the clamour of daemons. Mercifully, the platoon stops firing at a barked command, unsure as to whether they have forced back the enemy in the darkness. They adopt defensive positions, but Vex can hear that their lieutenant is already directing one squad to supplement the defence of the guns. It is taking time, and Vex realises that he has to risk the wrath of their lasguns again. He murmurs a prayer to the Weaver of Fate, and begins tearing once more at the veil.
 
The host of fiends returns at once, stealing Vex’s breath for a moment and leaving him gasping, as a ripple of silent, invisible energy radiates about him. Startled and afraid, the platoon opens fire without command, but now that Vex has made his way further down the hill, the shots fly over his head. The enemy is terrified, as their officers are barely keeping control. Vex continues to assail them, roaring doom into the dark recesses of their panicked minds. He smiles broadly as one of the soldiers screams, magnificent horns tearing their way through his scalp and through his helmet. The man is shot down almost instantly, but a couple others are affected, there is disorder in their ranks, and the distraction is all but complete. Catching his breath, and wincing from his wounds, Vex crawls away to safety.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Ari informs Vex through the mind-link that the deed is done. The Grand Makuu no longer has its autocannons to protect it. It is a great victory, and Vex smiles through his pain. The deed is done. 

Vex agrees to meet up with Ari at the bottom of the hill. Then, they will begin the long trek back to Imani.

[Vex and Laval gain 4 Infamy for completing a Secondary Objective, and assisting another heretic with their Secondary Objective. Vex gains an extra 1 Infamy and 4 Corruption Points for terrifying an entire platoon of soldiers.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 pm

[Are you available for an interaction with Ari?]

The drug in Vex's system begins to wear off. There are some cravings for more, but Vex dismisses them with sheer force of will. He has far too much to do to become a drug addict.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Vex is staggering, bleeding, grinning maniacally. He stinks of burned flesh.
 
Ari stares at his wounds with morbid fascination. “Are you... are you alright? Need a hand?"
 
"I am amazing," he declares through the mind-link.
 
Ari is sweaty with athletic perspiration. She is clearly just coming down off the drug, her muscles losing the unnatural tension.
 
“You should have seen them!" Vex continues.
 
"What happened?” Ari asks, “I couldn't see."
 
The response is a jumble of half-formed thoughts, impressions of men running and "one of them grew horns" and terror and shooting and "thought I was a whole army of daemons". Ari's thoughts back are confused, but impressed.
 
"Nice,” she says, “Niiiiice. Thanks for drawing them off - gave them the proper runaround. No way those guns are working again."
 
Vex gives the mental equivalent of laughter - crazy and exultant - then exhaustion. "I am riddled with holes."
 
"..."
 
From her distant position, Laval expresses concern. "Come back here, let me treat you. Both of you, if you need it Ari."
 
Ari's response comes back: it is, mentally, a high mocking laugh - the arrogance of youth. "Ha! Fuckers couldn't touch me, I'm that fast. We're heading back now."
 
"One hell of a drug," Vex observes.
 
"Gracious is good, isn't he? I can't really wait to get a chance to do that again. It felt like anything was possible - those walls were... wow." Ari is buzzing with uncharacteristic happiness and pride.
 
Vex matches her glee with a toothy, if exhausted grin. At first he tries to walk alone, but the effort is clearly difficult for him and eventually he asks Ari for a hand as they walk away from the cathedral. Ari responds and helps him out.
 
Laval meets them partway. She catches their enthusiasm and grins to see them, but tuts over Vex's injuries. Ari nods at Laval, her normal habitual sullenness resuming - whatever friendliness she now feels for Vex, forged in battle, it doesn't seem to quite extend to Laval yet.
 
"I took on a whole platoon." Vex justifies. Laval lays hands upon him, and, as she murmurs, the burn wounds begin to heal over to hardened scabs. Satisfied, Laval gets out a medi-kit and starts applying salve.
 
"He did! It was..." Ari shakes her head. "We made a good team."
 
"I'm glad," Laval notes, still working on healing her friend.

[Vex recovers all wounds through the combination of magic and natural healing.]
 
"I guess you were listening in? I don't understand how, really; never used to believe in magic... Priests always preach of miracles, but I've never seen one, you know? I guess I have now." Ari's expression turns angry.
 
Laval nods. "Miracles come from the Warp, not the Emperor. I can't let the two of you speak silently without being a part of that link."
 
"Why do they keep these gods from us?" Ari demands. "Why... there's such power here; it's like a power I always knew but never had words for."
 
Laval sighs, then smiles. Vex answers for her. "They're scared of losing their power over us, that's all."
 
Fuckers! So what's next? I almost went down into the Makuu and burnt it down myself, but... well, the drug was wearing off."
 
"Don't think rockrete burns anyway,” Vex observes, “Gonna poison 'em next though."
 
"Ha! Alright, sounds good."
 
The three make their way back to Imani, victorious and happy.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:39 pm

The three make their way back to the village. Gracious is still cooking, but the three are happy for a rest. It has been a long trek, and Ari and Vex have had an active night. Resting for the night, Laval leaves a sleeping Vex to find Gracious in the morning. He seems to just have finished whatever it is he was doing, looking exhausted but elated.
 
"..." he hazily sways from side to side, "And... yes... good morning! STEN! Coffee!"
 
"Good morning, Gracious!" Laval smiles.
 
"It is, rather, isn't it? Sleep well?"
 
Sten stumbles about, pouring water into a stained bowl, suspended over a fire. "Ok, ok," he yawns sleepily.
 
"Yes,” Laval replies, “If not for quite enough hours. More than you, by the look of it."
 
"Yeah... I think I got a couple of hours in the middle there."
 
"So. Uh. Has Ari been to see you yet?"
 
"...or did I dream tha - no, probably, not... oh?... no she hasn't... is she... did they... what happened?"
 
“Reconnaissance my arse. Those two are incurable." She grins.
 
“… You're grinning. That's - it's a nice grin - that's a good thing?"
 
"If we can trust Ari's expertise, the autocannons are dead."
 
"HA! Yes!" Gracious punches the air with his right... hand? The air moves oddly.
 
So much for caution." Laval laughs.
 
"Yeah, I'm not sure those two are the cautious types; I honestly didn't expect... I mean, I said "do the thing if you can", but I didn't..."
 
"They're both fine, the lunatics. Taking on an entire fortress cathedral between the two of them!"
 
Gracious mulls this over for a few seconds. "... it occurs to me that we may have an imminent problem."
 
"Yes."
 
"Laval! Gracious!" The pair turn to see Faruha running over to them.
 
"...I will confess I didn't... I am sure I impressed on Ari the need for stealth over... Hey! Faruha! What's up?"
 
Laval looks round, concerned. "What is it?"
 
"Skauti," Faruha gasps for air, "She was bringing a lost goat back to the village..." She catches her breath. "She says that she saw soldiers. Around twenty, she says. They are on their way here!"
 
Laval exhales. "Is there anyone who won't survive inspection?"
 
"Vex," Gracious notes.
 
"Well, yes, and me. Anyone else?" Laval demands.
 
"I... I'll probably be fine," Gracious thinks. "Kibwe. Sten, probably."
 
"I don't think there are others to worry for," Faruha notes, "Though we will have to prepare, and they may ask why our preacher is dead. And I fear that they will suspect wychcraft when they see the golden baobab tree."
 
Gracious has a look on his face, as if cogs are whirring very fast. "Plague. They know there is sickness here, or there was."
 
Laval nods. "Are you any good with make-up?" She turns to Faruha. "Faruha, I don't know the lay of the land. Is there a way we can get the most suspicious out of here before they get here?"
 
"They are some distance away," Faruha tells them, "Others could simply run, get past the hillcrests and out of sight?"
 
"Running's an option then...” Laval remarks, “But then we wouldn't be here to defend if it goes wrong."
 
“And so many are dead," Faruha observes, "They will notice how few of us there are. Though," she adds, thinking quickly, "It might make them believe that the plague has claimed the sick, and then passed."
 
"And in its own way,” Gracious notes, “That's not even a lie."
 
"The tree is still a problem,” Laval insists. The group looks in the direction of the old baobab tree. Once a withered husk, it now stands tall and proud, its bark silvery and golden, delicious-looking fruits hanging low. Though its presence is unusual, what is downright suspicious is that no one has picked from it. And yet, if any of the soldiers do, they will unleash the plague of Imani threefold, and Nurgle will have his terrible revenge.
 
Laval cusses briefly.
 
"Calm,” Gracious suggests, “Calm. I think we need to give them every reason to not approach the village too closely. It's that, or flee entirely..."
 
"You're right. But what's to keep them wanting to just burn it from a distance?"
 
"Why would they burn Imani?" Faruha demands. "What have you done?"
 
"No, no," Laval corrects, "I was thinking we could put them off with fear of catching plague, but then they might want to burn us..."
 
"It's true,” Gracious concurs, “Fundamentally they will be looking for the people that... well, did whatever Vex and Ari did."
 
"But they have no reason to suspect Imani," Laval assures Faruha.
 
“I see," Faruha nods. "Do you know why they are coming? They normally send far fewer for the tithe."
 
"Vex and Ari struck against their defences,” Laval tells her, “Eliminated the guns. They are likely searching everywhere for the saboteurs."
 
"They will search our houses and beat us," Faruha responds, becoming increasingly fearful, "They must be sending men to all the villages."
 
Laval swears again. "Damn their recklessness! We can't just let this happen."
 
"We won't let that happen. We won't let you down." Gracious reaches out and places a hand on Faruha's shoulder. She calms slightly, smiling at Gracious.
 
"Laval,” Gracious continues, “I... I'm sorry that... I didn't think they'd; what did Vex do? Did he... are they looking for wyches?"
 
She nods. "They will be."
 
"If they are seeking traitors, then they will not take ignorance at face value," Faruha warns them. "They will suspect us, and try to extract confessions. Last time they came, after Sadaka, they took three people away."
 
"Gods above,” Gracious curses.
 
Laval clenches her fists. "Twenty. And if we kill those, more..."
 
"... and they will burn Imani to the ground," Faruha worries.
 
"Then we must lie,” Laval declares, “Must feed them some nonsense that will make them think they do not need to come back..."
 
Gracious smiles. "I can try, at least."
 
"Three problems:" Laval ticks off on her fingers, "The tree, the mutants, the wych hunt."
 
"An idea occurs," Gracious muses. "Sadaka didn't burn. Why? Because Kind Peter's warband were obviously not part of the populace."
 
"But they still took people..."
 
"If we can differentiate clearly between villagers and occupiers..."
 
"Both of you are right," Faruha notes. She thinks hard. "They didn't burn Sadaka because they saw the difference between occupiers and occupied. But they took people because the village had been occupied." She pauses. "What if these soldiers are attacked, but not by occupying forces? What if they are attacked by their culprits, who do not come from Imani at all?"
 
"Do we have time to get around to another side before they get here?" Laval asks.
 
Faruha nods. "I think so." She winces. "But there are so many of them."
 
Laval grimaces. "Vex is flush with victory and wyrdling power. He will not flinch from taking them on - the fool."
 
"I fear that he will die," Faruha says.
 
"So do I,” Laval notes. She cocks her head as if listening, betraying a second, silent conversation in her own mind.
 
"I could give him another dose of the drug,” Gracious notes, “I think that should toughen him at least?" He pauses. "All we need do is draw them away... we don't need... The paint could help..."
 
"... how?"
 
"If we put some down - I can make it explode," Gracious admits. "There's a secondary compound - it's inert otherwise. Just in case, you know?"
 
Laval frowns. “… Sure.”
 
"We must act swiftly," Faruha warns them.
 
"I believe in being prepared. I think we can make the ground beneath their feet turn into fire... Vex and you can draw them off, Ari can run from them..."
 
Laval nods, breathes deep. "We can do this."
 
"The gods don't make the good work easy!" Gracious exclaims.
 
"But they make it possible."
 
"Yes."
 
The group spring into action. Ari will take the paint and stealthily lather it in the path of the enemy, trying to avoid notice. She will then disengage and regroup with Vex, who will make it seem as though they are coming from Sadaka. When the enemy comes, the ambush will be sprung. Having secured the attention of the Makuu forces, Ari and Vex will flee towards Sadaka. Elsewhere, Laval will coordinate with them with the power of her mind. Gracious’ role, meanwhile, is to dose Ari and Vex up with his magical wonder drug. What could go wrong?

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Raised swiftly from her slumbers, the plan is explained to Ari and Vex. They nod confidently, one with youthful arrogance, the other with zealous hatred.
 
Wreathed in primitive camouflage and her reflexes working overdrive on Gracious’ powerful drug, Ari activates her father’s stummer. It is a long time since it has had use, and the sound of her bounding strides are swallowed entirely. She ghosts towards the marching soldiers. A lesser woman might be terrified of such odds, but Ari is long jaded to the cruelties that can be inflicted by the Grand Makuu. She dives to the ground, wriggling forwards into position, barely evading the enemy’s searching eyes. Her camouflage melding with the Swaadi wilds, she spreads the paint with her hands, making a note to wash them before handling the match of a lho. Rolling back, she regroups with Vex’s position fifty metres away on the crest of a hill. He grins at her when she arrives, and they wait for the hated Ecclesiastical forces to march into their trap.
 
Vex is quickest off the mark, his senses supernaturally boosted by the satrophine coursing through his veins. Ecstatically calling upon Tzeentch, he directs a bolt of change into the massed squads. It strikes a man and the effects are horrendous. His body seems to explode in a messy mutation of tentacles, eyes and goo, and what is left on the floor is a mewling, pitiful spawn. Grinning, Ari aims at the paint and pulls the trigger, laughing as it ignites and catches more than a few soldiers in white-hot flames.
 
A lesser enemy would turn and flee at such a horrifying assault. But these are the fanatical Swaad soldiers of the Grand Makuu, and they hold their ground. Someone barks an order to fire, and then the sky is a tapestry of lasfire death.
 
Vex is fixed by half a dozen whipcracks, his boosted physique shrugging off many as his armour is burned and scorched. But they are too many, and Vex moves too slowly to avoid the onslaught. He screams as his leg immolates in a terrifying display of power, the flames reaching upwards to consume him completely. He tumbles from his position down the hill.
 
To his side, Ari ducks and weaves, desperately trying to avoid her comrade’s fate. She is as fast as a shadow, but there are simply too many and she is struck by a number of bolts, scouring her flesh. The pain is dulled by the drug, but it is nonetheless agony and Ari screams. She is unused to such pain – the pain that is a promise of war, and Vex falling beside her only compounds her shock. But she reacts quickly. Spinning a boltpistol from its holster, she blows apart a soldier as she begins to sprint away, over the crest of the hill and out of sight. The soldiers give pursuit, but she keeps running, running like she has never ran before. By the time the soldiers reach the top of the hill, she is out of the effective range of their lasguns, sprinting towards the doomed village of Sadaka. The soldiers give pursuit, sparing Imani for now. They run past the half-blackened body of Vex.
 
What Vex wants to do is howl in pain, but his throat is scorched so badly he can barely muster breath. The flames, by the grace of Tzeentch, were put out by the fall down the hill, but every part of his body is in agony. Even in his long years of suffering at the hands of the Imperial filth, he has never quite suffered like this. His entire soul is consumed by pain and hatred. Dimly, in the back of his mind, he feels Laval’s presence, but he can barely hear her. There is only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of the thirsting gods.
 
Mercifully, he passes into unconsciousness.
 
[Vex has the Lost Leg condition. His Movement rates are halved and he suffers a -20 penalty on all tests for Movement actions and others that require mobility. He also cannot Dodge. He has lost 11 Infamy and gained 9 Corruption. I took the liberty of using an Infamy Spend before he lost it, and so he is now at 4 Wounds.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Suddenly there is nothing Laval wants more than to go to Vex. But she can't, lest she bring about his death, the deaths of everyone in the village, her own. She forces herself to wait until the soldiers are out of sight, then runs to him.

She cannot tell if he is conscious or not, fills him with anaesthetics from her medikit until she is sure that he is not, then gets to work on the burns. Still unfamiliar with her newfound powers manifested last night, she is loathe to use it again on him too soon, but she has mundane solutions. She refuses to think about the missing leg, puts it from her mind. The Warp will provide. Right now, there is nothing but doing what she can.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:41 pm

She lays down salve and tends to the exposed wounds. Vex occasionally groans, even under anaesthetic, and Laval tries to put from her mind the horrors that a wych of his power must be experiencing in this agonised state. Faruha acts as Laval's assistant, murmuring soothing words to Vex and saying encouraging words to Laval. Stabilising Vex, they are in a position to take him back to Imani.

[Laval can only use First Aid once per day (and I think I'm going to impose the same limitation on psychic healing). Hence, Vex does not regain wounds. However, his wounds have been cleaned and they will not become infected.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:56 pm

[There are rules for psychic healing - it works multiple times per day but risks Consequences.]

When she runs out of useful things to do, Laval sits and cries. She keeps Vex under for now, unwilling to face him, to tell him, to cope with the touch of his thoughts against hers.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:31 pm

[Noted, we'll go with that then.]

Gracious winces when he sees Vex's injuries, and offers obscura to help deal with his pain when he wakes. Does Laval accept?

Ari limps back into town in the evening, tired and injured. She seems to have led the soldiers all the way to Sadaka, where she had to hide from another group of soldiers who were already there. She thinks that Sadaka is taking the blame for what has happened, because they're busy setting the whole place on fire. It's the strangest thing, though: everyone in Sadaka has disappeared without a trace - seemingly before the soldiers got there - and Ari felt a creeping dread that she couldn't explain.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Laval refuses Gracious' offer, not without some anger. It's diffuse and ill-directed, and she knows that Gracious is not to blame here, but she does not want his interference, his manipulations. Vex belongs to her! Though, of course, she would never say as much.

She will treat Ari's wounds if the girl asks, but does not volunteer her services, wrapped up in her own little temper tantrum as she is.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Gracious does indeed ask on Ari's behalf, and Laval gets to work. The young woman's wounds are serious, but not critical, and it is hard for Laval not to feel resentful towards her. Why is it that she is so relatively unscathed whilst Vex has lost his leg and so much more? Only partially hiding her anger, she nonetheless does a good job of patching Ari up.

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:47 pm

As the evening draws on, Laval succumbs to tiredness. She gives Vex enough to keep him under while she sleeps, planning to deal with it in the morning.

Sleep wipes away the worst of the anger, as hoped. Laval wakes early, feeling drained, empty of emotion save the lingering residue of anger. She wakes Vex. She has no idea what to say to him, but it does not take him long to discover his loss.

There is a long, uncomfortable silence. Vex reaches out with his mind for hers, seeking comfort. She shies away, but can't keep him from making contact. After a moment's hesitation, she forms the two-way link. His pain, her guilt, the horror and anger of it all flow freely between them.

After the initial shock, his first reaction is humour.
"I'll just grow a new one," he jests, flexing his tentacles. It falls flat.

Laval starts crying again. Vex asks for water, for more salve for his burns. She obliges, weeping.

"I'll find a way," she promises, "I'm learning things, I'll figure it out."

Vex is skeptical. "You're not strong enough," he criticises, "I bet it would take more power than you can handle."

She curses at him, storms out, cuts the mind link.

And Vex sits, and feels numb inside, and struggles to process his loss.

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:55 am

Gracious has kept his distance from Laval and Vex since the obscura was refused. However, when Laval leaves, a young boy hands her a handwritten note from the chymist.

"Laval,
I'm actually sorry about all this. Hope he mends in time, one way or another. You've got me and Ari for what you want to do now. Deal's a deal.

Did Ari tell you about Sadaka?

- G"

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Jewelcast on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:31 pm

[Sorry that this is basically just me writing because I enjoy writing these characters, rather than actually advancing the plot. I feel like I'm mostly in a reactive position right now, aside from rolling around ball-gowning. I hope that's okay?]

Laval takes the note, spares a teary "thanks" for the messenger, takes it with her as she seeks out somewhere private to cry.

She reads the note twice, makes a futile attempt to gauge Gracious' sincerity from the handful of written words. From what she has seen of his mind, she eventually concludes that the sentiment is probably truthful. It makes her feel a little better. She still does not truly believe she can trust Gracious, but she would like to be able to. She would like to be friends.

Yes, she tells him, She did.

A moment later, another message. Thank you.

And then she sits and thinks, and the cold, aggressive part of her finally makes its voice known, and the tears dry, and she is herself again.

****

Vex stretches, rolls over, tries to stand with the assistance of the wall, is forced back to sitting. The situation still seems implausible, a peculiar dream-state hallucination. This sort of thing doesn't happen to him.

He is angry too, of course, and hurt, and horrified. But he doesn't fight his emotions like peculiar, crazy Laval does. He inhabits his anger comfortably, swears vengeance to himself, rejoices bitterly in the plans they have for the hated soldiers of the Makuu.

What he does fight is his new disability. He refuses to lie still, refuses to wallow in misery, forces himself again and again to try and stand, to relearn balance in this new, mutilated body. And as he struggles with himself, the wheels of his mind turn. His thoughts are clearer than he recalls, if only by a little. The Warp has taught him things, perhaps, changed him by exposure. Or perhaps it is merely practice, from constantly trying to keep up with Laval's ever-shifting plans.

Perhaps she is right. Perhaps she does have the strength to heal him. Or if she does not, perhaps he does. Could he learn the tricks of it from her? Would she teach him? When she is done sulking, he will ask her.

This new change is unwelcome. But change is not to be feared. What has changed once can change again.

And never mind the hollow, disbelieving feeling that he cannot shake from his heart.


Last edited by Jewelcast on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jewelcast

Posts : 228
Join date : 2016-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by The GM on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 pm

[No need to apologise, this is very awesome. If you do fancy trying for something else this turn, check out the post on Glorifying Acts in the Mechanics forum.]

The GM
Admin

Posts : 624
Join date : 2016-08-07

View user profile http://thedoomedmakuu.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Turn 2 Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum